List:       kwrite-devel
Subject:    Re: Default Styles (take two)
From:       Matthew Woehlke <mw_triad () users ! sourceforge ! net>
Date:       2014-02-18 20:18:14

On 2014-02-18 14:56, Philipp A. wrote:
> On 2014-02-18 20:41 GMT+01:00 Matthew Woehlke wrote:
>> the user will have more "global control" over their color scheme, with
>> *less* need to tweak things at the per-HL level.
>
> less? i hope we get to a point here where there isn't *any* need for
> hardcoded colors left.
>
> as soon as i see something unreadable, i get annoyed and consider it a bug,
> so color schemes are buggy as long as there are any hardcoded colors left.

"Don't Panic." :-) That's not quite what I Christoph and I were talking
about. What we were saying is that the user may still need to tweak the
*default* styles, and in particular, my experience is that I may still
want a particular attribute in a particular HL to be other than the
default (e.g. maybe I want dsVerbatimString to be light red almost
everywhere, but I really want raw strings in Python to be dark blue).

Having more default styles however should (a) achieve your goal
(everything *legible* out of the box), and (b) allow me to get the look
I want with less per-HL overriding of defaults. But there is likely to
always be a little bit of that.

(I do fully agree that the HL's themselves should use only default
styles, which is of course the point of this exercise.)

--
Matthew