List:       kwrite-devel
Subject:    Re: Re: Default Styles
From:       Dominik Haumann <dhaumann () kde ! org>
Date:       2014-02-18 8:46:50

On Monday, February 17, 2014 23:20:20 Sven Brauch wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Monday 17 February 2014 22:43:08 Dominik Haumann wrote:
> > Some time ago, I've made a list of default styles.
>
> Great! Below is what I think.
>
> > ? dsSection     (new, e.g. [general] in ini file, or \section in LaTeX)
>
> Not sure of this, I feel like it doesn't apply to most languages and those
> to which it does apply could as well use a different style for it ... I'd
> leave it out.

Removed for now.

> > ? dsRawString   (new, '' in Perl, CoffeeScript and Bash, r'' or r"" in
> > Python)
>
> This is useful I think. Many languages have it, and it makes sense to
> highlight it in a different color. Characters in a raw string mean something
> different than in a non-raw string quite often, and it's useful to make the
> user aware of this.
>
> > ? dsRegExpOp    (new, RegExp semantics: ^\., [:space:], ...)
>
> How are chances we can instead have a RegEx highlighting and switch to that
> for regular expressions? As far as I'm aware in most languages it should be
> rather easy to guess which strings are regexes, buy just looking at the
> built-in functions which deal with them. Do you think that's feasible?
> Same goes for SQL, by the way.

I don't get this.

> > ? dsConstant    (new, if needed? maybe M_PI or similar things? not
> > sure...)
>
> Not worth it imo. Undetectable in most langauges, and where you can detect
> it it's probably builtins and you can use dsKeyword or something.
> Maybe we could have a dsBuiltin instead? (Doesn't that exist already?)
>
> > ? dsLink        (new, url, path)
>
> That could make sense.

Could is not enough, removed ;)

> > ? dsDeprecated  (new: maybe for deprecated stuff?)
>
> Covered by dsWarning in my opinion.
>
> > ? dsExample     (new, e.g. @code ... @endcode, or dsVerbatim ? )
>
> Can we switch to the surrounding language mode instead?

Yes, it's a problem though: If a C++ inenter checks for dsNormal for instance,
and we switch in a comment to HTML, then this HTML will have dsNormal. From
C++, it's still a comment. A better fix would be to call the HTML indenter in
this case, well... that should be fixable :-)

Anyways, dsExample is removed for now.

> > ? dsPositive    (new, e.g. NOTE)
> > ? dsInformation (new, e.g. TODO)
> > ? dsWarning     (new, HACK, ###, FIXME)
>
> Those sounds good, although I'm not sure dsPositive is useful.

dsPositive removed in favour of only dsInformation