List:       kwrite-devel
Subject:    Re: Default Styles
From:       Sven Brauch <svenbrauch () googlemail ! com>
Date:       2014-02-17 23:28:13

On Monday 17 February 2014 18:17:14 Matthew Woehlke wrote:
> I think I agree that I'd like to try hard to avoid these... they lack
> semantic meaning, which means they won't be used consistently, and thus
> will tend to frustrate users as they won't know how, and won't be able,
> to set them to their liking.
I'm not sure I understand that. They're meant for places where none of the
other styles can be used consistently, right? So there's no real consistency
anyways. And configuring them shouldn't be too difficult, you can just look
for the style which currently has the color you want to change in the config.

You'll always have highlights which have quite special needs (think of Diff,
Gnuplot, git, or Xorg). You'll end up with badly abusing the other default
styles in these cases, and then it's better to have a few styles designated
for free use. Of course it would still be be preferable if languages would use
the non-misc styles instead, so it wouldn't harm those which don't need them.

Greetings!