List:       kwrite-devel
Subject:    Re: Default Styles
From:       Matthew Woehlke <mw_triad () users ! sourceforge ! net>
Date:       2014-02-17 23:11:34

On 2014-02-17 17:09, Milian Wolff wrote:
> On Monday 17 February 2014 22:43:08 Dominik Haumann wrote:
>> Numbers
>> ? dsConstant    (new, if needed? maybe M_PI or similar things? not sure...)
>
> dsConstant could be used for enums in languages which have them. So +1 from my
> side.

...and probably in e.g. Python this could be used for True, None, etc.
And probably more like true, nullptr, etc. in C++, since I don't know
how you would tell the difference between macros that really are
constants vs. annotations vs. something else.

And maybe CMake should use it for e.g. built-in variable names.

>> ? dsDeprecated  (new: maybe for deprecated stuff?)
>
> Similar to extension, this is more of an "on-top" attribute. I.e. I'd expect a
> deprecated data type to look still look like a data type, but the same would
> apply to a function etc. pp. So maybe we need a new concept for such
> attributes? Deprecated could add a strike-through effect. Extensions could
> change the color. Suggestions anyone?

If you're going that route, you don't need a default attribute; just
specify strikeout in the attribute of the HL.

>> Notifications
>> - dsError
>> - dsAlert
>> ? dsPositive    (new, e.g. NOTE)
>> ? dsInformation (new, e.g. TODO)
>> ? dsWarning     (new, HACK, ###, FIXME)
>
> Imo, dsAlert + dsError are enough, no? HACK, FIXME, ### are imo dsError's.
> Note and TODO are dsAlerts.

No they aren't. dsError is a syntax error (red with underline). dsAlert
is red background (like the pen-and-paper sense of "highlight").

Since some time alert.xml started differentiating three categories of
alert; the above (but see my reply re: dsPositive) would simply give
those existing categories default attributes.

Currently, dsError is mostly reserved for when the HL either knows that
you've written something that isn't valid, or goes bork, and IMO that's
the way it should be.

--
Matthew