List:       kwrite-devel
Subject:    Re: Default Styles
From:       Sven Brauch <svenbrauch () googlemail ! com>
Date:       2014-02-17 22:20:20

Hi,

On Monday 17 February 2014 22:43:08 Dominik Haumann wrote:
> Some time ago, I've made a list of default styles.
Great! Below is what I think.

> ? dsSection     (new, e.g. [general] in ini file, or \section in LaTeX)
Not sure of this, I feel like it doesn't apply to most languages and those to
which it does apply could as well use a different style for it ...
I'd leave it out.

> ? dsRawString   (new, '' in Perl, CoffeeScript and Bash, r'' or r"" in
> Python)
This is useful I think. Many languages have it, and it makes sense to
highlight it in a different color. Characters in a raw string mean something
different than in a non-raw string quite often, and it's useful to make the
user aware of this.

> ? dsRegExpOp    (new, RegExp semantics: ^\., [:space:], ...)
How are chances we can instead have a RegEx highlighting and switch to that
for regular expressions? As far as I'm aware in most languages it should be
rather easy to guess which strings are regexes, buy just looking at the
built-in functions which deal with them. Do you think that's feasible?
Same goes for SQL, by the way.

> ? dsConstant    (new, if needed? maybe M_PI or similar things? not sure...)
Not worth it imo. Undetectable in most langauges, and where you can detect it
it's probably builtins and you can use dsKeyword or something.
Maybe we could have a dsBuiltin instead? (Doesn't that exist already?)

> ? dsLink        (new, url, path)
That could make sense.

> ? dsDeprecated  (new: maybe for deprecated stuff?)
Covered by dsWarning in my opinion.

> ? dsExample     (new, e.g. @code ... @endcode, or dsVerbatim ? )
Can we switch to the surrounding language mode instead?

> ? dsPositive    (new, e.g. NOTE)
> ? dsInformation (new, e.g. TODO)
> ? dsWarning     (new, HACK, ###, FIXME)
Those sounds good, although I'm not sure dsPositive is useful.

> The big question is:
> Will these default styles enable us to ditch many/most of the hard-coded
> colors? (I have not checked in detail)
We could try to start porting some of them and then we'll see. We can add new
default styles any time, right?
I'm still pretty sure we will need about five dsMisc styles if we want to keep
the others somewhat on-topic.

Greetings,
Sven