List:       kwrite-devel
Subject:    Re: Coding Style Change => kdelibs style
From:       Matthew Woehlke <mw_triad () users ! sourceforge ! net>
Date:       2014-01-24 23:37:07

On 2014-01-24 18:13, Christoph Cullmann wrote:
>> Christoph, do you think it would to brutal to have pre-receive hook script on
>> git.kde.org, which would check the style?:)
> :) Actually that would be the best idea, but I guess that is not that easy, given e.g.
> some files like the autotest input should not follow it ;)

Excluding files from being checked is quite easy :-).

> My opinion would be: we shall cleanup the indentation automatically every some weeks/months
> via kdelibs-astyle script, which would only touch lines not matching the style and commit
> that as "cleanup".
>
> That way we don't need to care the whole time about tedious "here is a space too much"
> and still have consistency (and git is able to follow the changes still).

If your tool (e.g. kdelibs-astyle) is sufficiently consistent and
accurate, and developers are willing to tolerate it checking them,
you'll get best results with a pre-commit hook. Only the committer needs
to worry (and the machine will check for him/her), and you'll have less
style-only changes.

--
Matthew