List:       kwrite-devel
Subject:    Re: Convert file encoding
From:       codeminister () publicstatic ! de
Date:       2013-11-24 12:05:03

On 20/11/13 19:46, Dominik Haumann wrote:
> On Tuesday 19 November 2013 21:44:44 Sven Brauch wrote:
>> Hi!
>>
>> Cool, glad it worked.
>>
>> On Tuesday 19 November 2013 21:33:59 codeminister@publicstatic.de wrote:
>>> Did you (the kwrite team) consider adding a menu item "Convert encoding
>>> to" below the "Encoding" menu that allows to set the encoding for next
>>> save?
>> I'm not sure if this makes sense -- after all the encoding the document is
>> saved with is not really related to editing, so I'd say configuring it only
>> on save is the most logical choice.
>> If anything, I would go for a "Save with different encoding" menu entry.
>> Then again, that's basically just "Save as" with a different title ...
>>
>> Other people on this list which are (other than me) actually involved with
>> the kate GUI might differ though ;)
>
> What you said is completely correct: Once loaded, the contents of the file is
> represented by QStrings, which are 16 bit each character. Only for saving the
> file, the encoding matters again.
>
> Kile has File > Convert To > a list of encodings. So instead of using Save as,
> they provide this action.

The provide both, actually. :)

>>From a developer's perspective, this makes absolutely no sense at all, though
> :-) We could add this, too, but then the current way works just fine as well.
> So I'm not convinced that a change is required here.

From a (Kate) developer's perspective I agree and I also agree that a
change in the encoding area has low prio since the functionality is
actually present.

Now, this is the perspective from someone who has previously not used
Kate or Kile before and someone who also uses Notepad++ on a regular basis:

I might be "spoiled" by Notepad++ because there Encoding is an item of
the main menu:

http://publicstatic.de/gnu/linux/images/notepad++2013-11-20_10-52-13_new.png

All encoding related functionality can be discovered and accessed from
there. I do not think this particular menu is the best solution (e. g.
why do they have only five different encodings to convert to? In
contrast, Kate's list box on the Save as... dialog has more entries).
However, I find this menu quite intuitive for a user who wants to
quickly deal with the encoding of a file.

Greetings

Gregor