List:       kwrite-devel
Subject:    Convert file encoding
From:       codeminister () publicstatic ! de
Date:       2013-11-19 19:24:33

Hi,

how can I convert a file's encoding using kate? It seems to be one of
its features: http://www.kde.org/applications/utilities/kate/ ("Encoding
conversion").

Use case:
1) Open a file with encoding "windows-1256"
2) Convert it to "UTF-8"
3) File looks the same - especially the German umlauts.
4) Save with the new encoding.

I currently only find Tools --> Encoding which does no conversion but
interprets the file in the chosen encoding. In my case the umlauts are
replaced by other characters.

Is my use case possible? Thanks for clarification.

Gregor