List:       kwrite-devel
Subject:    Re: Switching to Python 3
From:       Sven Brauch <svenbrauch () googlemail ! com>
Date:       2013-11-12 17:18:13

> kate do not (and can not) be *linked* against ipython! again, as Philipp
> already said *it is not a native library*! it can't be used from C++, only
> from Python.
What I meant was obviously (or apparently, not so obviously ;) "it
will use the version of ipython which matches the version of libpython
kate was linked against". So if kate (or that pate stuff, not sure how
you link it) was linked against libpython-2.7, it will use ipython2.7,
if it was linked against libpython-3.3 it will use ipython3.3. And
there's no way to change this.

>> Setting two commands would only work if
>> you would be happy with running the ipython CLI thingy in an existing
>> terminal (e.g. konsole kpart), which is not what is currently being
>> done -- ipython provides its own widget which is embedded in a
>> toolview.
> That is absolutely CRAZY idea! and better even wouldn't consider it...
How is that a crazy idea? That is far more straightforward that what
you are doing right now. It is in fact maybe three lines of code, in
which you would just instantiate a konsole kpart with
"/usr/bin/ipython2" as the shell (without any compile-time references
to python or ipython at all, for that matter). It is the simplest
imaginable way to implement this ;)

Greetings,
Sven