List:       kwrite-devel
Subject:    Re: Switching to Python 3
From:       "Philipp A." <flying-sheep () web ! de>
Date:       2013-11-11 12:29:19

[Attachment #2 (multipart/alternative)]

2013/11/11 J. Pablo Martín Cobos <goinnn@gmail.com>

> Only a thing, if we do it, we have to understand that the python 2
> developers (it's possible) will use another editor. Because the pep8,
> pyflakes and parse syntax checker will report errors, because the syntax is
> different in python 2 and python 3.

why are you always insisting that everything will immediately make people
switch editors? i don't switch kate for something else because there are
minor bugs. everything has minor bugs.

that being said, if you can't run pep8.py with python3 to check a python2
script, that's a bug in pep8.py. and furthermore, no matter how kate's
compiled, it'll affect people:

if kate is compiled with python 3 (like on arch), people can't run pep8.py
on python 2 scripts (as you said), but
if kate is compiled with python 2 (like on ubuntu), people can't run
pep8.py on python 3 scripts.

so no matter how, pep8.py has a bug that affects some kate users. file it
if nobody has filed it before, and/or help them fix it.