List:       kwrite-devel
Subject:    Re: Switching to Python 3
From:       "Philipp A." <flying-sheep () web ! de>
Date:       2013-11-11 11:35:25

[Attachment #2 (multipart/alternative)]

2013/11/11 J. Pablo Martín Cobos <goinnn@gmail.com>

> In Ubuntu, if you type in a terminal "python", you are run Python 2. If
> you want you can say that this is not the default version... but when kate
> is compilling kate use python 2 for this reason.

That's exactly what I'm saying. The version of python running when you type
"python" without number isn't the default version. I used many exclamation
marks to draw attention to that fact, but apparently that wasn't sufficient.

If you do this change, a lot of end users stopped using kate. When I say
> that this change is a bad idea, I don't think in me, I think in the end
> users.
>
> Normally before to do an important change, you should notify to the
> community, and you should say something like this: "This feature is
> deprecated, we remove it after three releases"  (minimum next release).

You have no base for your assumption that people will stop using Kate,
because some plugins run on another version of it. The only people who'l
even notice that are the ones who found and activated Pâté, then found and
activated the Python or IPython console. And them noticing it won't mean
that they don't like it, since the only differences between the integrated
python consoles and one started in Kate's terminal are

   1. Access to the internals. And the only people who need access to the
   internals is us (the ones writing Kate plugins), who'll benefit from
   switching to Python 3 exclusively.
   2. Inline plotting in the Qt console. That means that people who insist
   on using Python 2 for their scientific scripts for some reason will need to
   use an external IPython Qt console.

Best regards,

> Please, we have think in the end user, and I think that now we are
> thinking in the developer. I understand that is better code only in a
> python version, but of this way a lot of person will not use it.

Bug-free code is in the interest of the end user, and testing in two
differently-compiled versions of Kate, as well as maintaining compatibility
conditionals is a chore and bug-prone. As i pointed out, the only ones who
are marginally affected are scientists who activated my months-old IPython
console.

Best, Phil