2013/11/11 Philipp A. <flying-sheep@web.de>
2013/11/11 J. Pablo Martín Cobos <goinnn@gmail.com>
Only a thing, if we do it, we have to understand that the python 2 developers (it's possible) will use another editor. Because the pep8, pyflakes and parse syntax checker will report errors, because the syntax is different in python 2 and python 3.

why are you always insisting that everything will immediately make people switch editors? i don’t switch kate for something else because there are minor bugs. everything has minor bugs.

Because if I use an editor, with a plugins and these does not work when I update it... I search another editor.

that being said, if you can’t run pep8.py with python3 to check a python2 script, that’s a bug in pep8.py. and furthermore, no matter how kate’s compiled, it’ll affect people:

This does not a pep8 bug... :-(

if kate is compiled with python 3 (like on arch), people can’t run pep8.py on python 2 scripts (as you said), but
if kate is compiled with python 2 (like on ubuntu), people can’t run pep8.py on python 3 scripts.

Yes is true, but if you use normally python 2, your default version will be python 2 and if you use normally python 3, your default version will be python 3...

For me the debate is finished... but only I want that you see the consequences...

so no matter how, pep8.py has a bug that affects some kate users. file it if nobody has filed it before, and/or help them fix it.