List:       kwrite-devel
Subject:    Re: Switching to Python 3
From:       "Philipp A." <flying-sheep () web ! de>
Date:       2013-11-11 17:11:53

[Attachment #2 (multipart/alternative)]

2013/11/11 Sven Brauch <svenbrauch@googlemail.com>

> For ipython however it's less obvious ... I'm not sure how the problem
> could
> be solved here. The only solution I found is based on creating a widget and
> then letting a new process draw into the widget, but that sort of sucks
> (especially I'm not sure how portable it is). That's more work and more bad
> than just keeping the current situation, so not worth it imo.

why is it necessary to keep an ipython compatible with python 2? no other
IDE/editor does it, they all embed just one (the python3 one). that
includes sublime text 3, spyder, notepad++, eric.

What I said earlier in the thread was referring only to what language should
> be available for writing the plugins, assuming plugins which are just doing
> stuff but not actually _importing python tools and using them in-process_.
> For this issue, I'm not sure how to proceed. Possibly the "link against
> both
> libs" is indeed the best solution.

i don't think that's possible (c name/address space), and it will make our
situation worse: not only will we have to continue to support both python
versions of some plugins, but also (if we manage to do it at all), we'll
have to support the linking of both, and we'll have to depend on both. and
finally, i think using PyQt/PyKDE bindings to the same widgets from
multiple places will create mayhem.