List:       kwrite-devel
Subject:    Re: I don't like "Python plugins"
From:       "Philipp A." <flying-sheep () web ! de>
Date:       2013-05-16 10:41:46

[Attachment #2 (multipart/alternative)]

2013/5/8 Dominik Haumann <dhaumann@kde.org>

> Right. It should just be an item in the list, no tree, please. It would
> expose
> information most of the users will never understand, for nothing.

There is one important information for me as plugin developer, i.e. where
the plugins come from.

Paté plugins can load from multiple directories and i'd like to see where
from.

But i think it's sufficient to make that an optional column in the list
view (source directory, default: off)

Finally a remark: Currently, all Python plugin are completely hidden behind
> the Pate-host plugin. And that is a tremendous advantage, since it keeps
> all
> the rest of Kate untouched. This also means you are flexible to change API,
> for instance. Once Python support gets more pulled into Kate itself,
> chaning
> this will be much harder in the long run.
>
> I'd prefer to have all the python plugins listed along with all the other
> plugins. However, I'd rather prefer not to rush this, and if needed only
> put
> this very late into KDE 4.11 (e.g. 4.11.8), or even KDE 5.

i'm very much in favor of this, too. maybe even a complete rework of the
libkatepate hierarchy (i don't have specific problems, but ATM it seems to
grow rather organically ;))