List:       kwrite-devel
Subject:    Re: FIND help
From:       Sebastien Bardeau <bahamut00 () free ! fr>
Date:       2013-04-15 21:08:12

Le 14/04/2013 19:41, Dominik Haumann a =E9crit :
> On Friday, 12. April 2013 21:45:28 Gerald Senarclens de Grancy wrote:
>> On Fri, Apr 12, 2013 at 9:26 PM, Alexander Neundorf <neundorf@kde.org>
> wrote:
>>> Same for me.
>>> Are there objections against adding a simple blocking message box which
>>> asks that ?
>> Wouldn't it be nicer to get this done in a more 'seamless' way? Eg.
>> when doing I-search in Emacs and reaching the last match, the editor
>> window gives visual feedback (a short blink) and the minibuffer states
>> that the search failed. On _hitting the search key again_, it
>> automatically restarts searching from the top of the document.
>>
>> Kate is sort of close to this. When the last result is found and F3 is
>> pressed again, it says 'reached bottom, continued from top' next to
>> the search field. I think this is quite good, but a little too
>> unobtrusive ;) - maybe requiring F3 to be hit again before restarting
>> from top would do the trick? Visually, one of these neat notification
>> boxes could give an additional hint. What do you think?
> Qt Creator just very quickly shows a small wrap-icon centered in the view=
 that
> immediately fades out. Similarly, we could show a passive notification sa=
ying
> "Search wrapped". I wouldn'd even say "Continued from top" (or bottom), s=
ince
> that should be obvious from what you are doing.
>
> I can add this, and you all give it a try?
>
> I'm against a message box, that's after all why we went all the long way =
from
> modal dialogs to passive widgets.

Whatever will be the solution you choose, please remember that the user =

have the eyes focused on the middle on the text, not on the bottom =

search box. The current message which is displayed is quite not visible. =

There MUST be a confident way to alert the user, and to be sure he got =

the "message", by a mean or an other. Even a transient/blinking event is =

not good enough to me. Hence my suggestion of having to hit a non-F3 key =

(this way blocking the search), e.g. Return to continue and Escape to abort.

> @Sebastien: You should try the latest version: http://kate-editor.org/get=
-it/

Sure I can (but I don't know when I will).

Have "you" (Kate/Kwrite team) considered to provide fine tuning =

customization in e.g. a ~/.katerc file (something a la ~/.emacs)? When I =

first moved to KDE 4, I thought there could be some way to revert to the =

old pop-up menus. I know it's much work to maintain various features and =

behaviors (and not to break them along time), but I have the feeling =

each user has its own concept of the perfect text editor.

Thanks,

S=E9bastien