List:       kwrite-devel
Subject:    Re: FIND help
From:       Gerald Senarclens de Grancy <gerald () senarclens ! eu>
Date:       2013-04-12 19:45:28

On Fri, Apr 12, 2013 at 9:26 PM, Alexander Neundorf <neundorf@kde.org> wrote:
> On Thursday 11 April 2013, Sebastien Bardeau wrote:
>> - how do I disable the "Find continued from top/bottom"? It happens very
>> often that I do not realize I am actually looping on the file. I would
>> much prefer a blocking popup claiming the top/bottom is reached, and
>> having to type Return to cycle or Escape to abort (quick keyboard choice).
>
> Same for me.
> Are there objections against adding a simple blocking message box which asks
> that ?

Wouldn't it be nicer to get this done in a more 'seamless' way? Eg.
when doing I-search in Emacs and reaching the last match, the editor
window gives visual feedback (a short blink) and the minibuffer states
that the search failed. On _hitting the search key again_, it
automatically restarts searching from the top of the document.

Kate is sort of close to this. When the last result is found and F3 is
pressed again, it says 'reached bottom, continued from top' next to
the search field. I think this is quite good, but a little too
unobtrusive ;) - maybe requiring F3 to be hit again before restarting
from top would do the trick? Visually, one of these neat notification
boxes could give an additional hint. What do you think?
/g

--
Gerald Senarclens de Grancy
http://senarclens.eu/~gerald/