List:       kwrite-devel
Subject:    Re: Collaborative editing in KTE
From:       Sven Brauch <svenbrauch () googlemail ! com>
Date:       2013-03-30 15:16:46

2013/3/30 Torsten Eichstädt <torsten.eichstaedt@web.de>:
> Yes. _I have no clue about KTE's internals_, but I think it's a good
> approach. My naive first idea was very similar: Load "shadow" copies of
> relevant files on the collaboration server to the local machine (file
> size=zero). Only fetch files to edit, on demand. Poll the server for changes
> every 5 minutes or so.
Ok -- polling is not even necessary I think, the protocoll should send
push notifications if stuff changes.

> Would it make sense to build on a RCS (e.g.
> subversion) to do that?
Probably not. Users probably have a VCS anyways for their documents;
the protocoll+implementation without VCS already exists and if
possible, I'd rather avoid touching it; and changes will happen very
frequently, thus versioning them will likely carry a large overhead.

Cheers,
Sven