List:       kwrite-devel
Subject:    Re: Fwd: Re: Scripting in Kile
From:       Michel Ludwig <michel.ludwig () gmail ! com>
Date:       2012-01-19 20:13:02

Hi Dominik,

On Wed 18 Jan 2012 21:18:17 Dominik Haumann wrote:
> To sum up: As Kile is backward compatible to older KDE versions, Kile would
> need to maintain two implementations. From Kile's perspective, just for the
> sake of sharing code, this does not make much sense.
> But for KDE 5, sharing the code is very much desirable. So trying to keep
> compatibility now should be high priority.
>
> So we target KDE 5 for the code sharing ?
>
> This would mean for the Kate developers to find a good interface + find
> ways how Kile can extend our view/document scripting objects.

Yes, that sounds like a good idea. The future version(s) of Kile that will
compile against kdelibs 4.x will continue to use the implementation we have
now, which we will try to keep 100% compatible with the KatePart scripting
API. And Kile for kdelibs 5.x will use the new scripting interfaces of
KatePart.

Michel