List:       kwrite-devel
Subject:    Re: Scripting in Kile
From:       Michel Ludwig <michel.ludwig () gmail ! com>
Date:       2012-01-17 21:23:51

Hi Dominik,

On Tue 17 Jan 2012 20:19:36 Dominik Haumann wrote:
> I stumbled over the extended-scripting branch you have in your git
> repository [1]. Basically, it is awesome that Kile gets scripting support,
> just the way like we do it in Kate Part, but it seems there is a lot of
> code duplication:
> - [2] is a copy of our Cursor & Range API. And ideally, improvements of
>   these classes should be included in the Kate API as well.
> - view and document objects: Functions like insertText(...) or cursor
>   movements are basic document/view opertions, and are provided by Kate
>   Part's scripting as well (and if not, it should be added).
> - api documentation is copied to a large extent as well.
>
> Now, the obvious reason why Kile copies the code is that the scripting is
> entirely internal to Kate Part.

Yes, we aimed at 100% compatibility with the KatePart API so that at some
point a KTextEditor interface could be introduced which would allow Kile to
access and extend the scripting API of KatePart.

> Given that (*) can be solved, would that be an option for Kile together
> with KDE 4.9 (it's too late for KDE 4.8.0)? Would that fit into Kile's
> release and feature plans?

We were aiming to release Kile 3 by the end of March, but it will probably
take one or two months longer anyway ;) Holger, what is your view on this?

And then there is of course the question what happens when Kile is run against
an older version of KDE. Probably we'll have to keep some copy of KatePart's
scripting API around in Kile...

> For KDE 5.0, we can use "real" KTextEditor interfaces again, providing a
> better api to add scripting support...

Yes, that would be awesome indeed :)

Cheers,

Michel