List:       kwrite-devel
Subject:    Re: KateVSStatusBar performance woes
From:       Dominik Haumann <dhdev () gmx ! de>
Date:       2011-09-12 21:00:02

On Monday, 12. September 2011, Milian Wolff wrote:
> Hey guys,
>
> if you open a big file in Kate and scroll in it, the biggest slow-down
> right now is KateVSStatusBar::cursorPositionChanged because it will call
> view-
>
> >document()->totalCharacters on every change of the cursor position.

This was my first thought as well, especially since I know the
implementation: It will iterate *all* lines of text to show the amount of
characters...
This should be either fixed before KDE 4.8, or reverted.

PS: I even dislike the idea of keeping the amount of characters as
    extra variable in the buffer ;)

Greetings,
Dominik