List:       kwrite-devel
Subject:    Re: Season of KDE
From:       Dominik Haumann <dhdev () gmx ! de>
Date:       2011-05-19 21:10:03

Hello Rajat,

have a look at the config page "Open/Save" tab "Modes & Filetypes".
Here you find a lineedit called "Variables:". The text of this lineedit is
applied as document variables (aka modelines) after a file with a certain
filetype is opened. For instance, have a look at "Other/Makefile". Here the
variables tell Kate that, whenever you open a file called Makefile, use tabs
to indent, and more.

However, it is not obvious what document varialbes exist. This is the main
motivation why I proposed a modeline editor.

For that, I propose to add a button after the line edit, that opens a dialog
where you can set/unset modelines, along with a explanations of the modeline
and valid values. How the dialog works exactly is still open, so feel free
to find something :-)

Hope this helps as a starter.

I suggest that we continue the discussion on kwrite-devel.

Greetings,
Dominik

PS: Just call all the people here by the first name instead of using Sir ;)
It feels much more natural in the open source world...