List:       kwrite-devel
Subject:    Re: Kate Code Folding Project for GSoC
From:       Christoph Cullmann <cullmann () absint ! de>
Date:       2011-03-26 14:53:51

Am Donnerstag, 24. März 2011, 19:32:43 schrieb Andrei Onea:
> Hello!
> I'm Andrei Onea (nonreviad on IRC), a 2nd year student from Romania.
> I have been looking up projects for GSoC, and this one especially
> caught my eye. However, I've been having a hectic week and have barely
> been able to get the time to write this mail. Hopefully, it will
> become less crowded around next week.
> Anyway, I like the idea - especially since code folding is such an
> important feature, and it would certainly be a shame that such a
> feature - while already supported by Kate - would become an
> unmaintained one. And even though nobody likes reinventing the wheel,
> I think that doing that once in a while is good :)
> I already have experience in C++ and some experience in using Qt - I
> have developed a GUI for ext3grep as a project for an optional course
> at college.
> I hope to hear back from one of the mentors with some ideas on how I
> might get started, and possibly some more details about this project.
> I'm definitely interested in participating this year, even if it's
> taken me almost a week to send this mail!
A good starting point would be to read the current folding implementation and
look at the currently open bugs for it.

ATM the handling of the two different types of folding: normal one (for
languages which use keywords or tokens to open/close folding regions) and for
indentation based folding is just somehow hacked in :/

Greetings
Christoph