List:       kwrite-devel
Subject:    Re: Patch proposal plus issues with the Vi input mode
From:       Christoph Cullmann <cullmann () absint ! de>
Date:       2011-03-13 13:22:25

Am Freitag, 11. März 2011, 01:07:11 schrieb Korantin AUGUSTE:
> On Thursday 10 March 2011 20:10:33 you wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > very cool and thanks for your contribution. It would be awesome if you
> > ship more patches, since there surely is lots of stuff to do! :)
> > In case you are a student, you might want to have a look at the GSoC
> > projects for kate this year:
> > http://community.kde.org/GSoC/2011/Ideas#Kate
> >
> > Greetings!
> > Dominik
>
> Hi Dominik,
> Thanks for your welcome :)
> I'm a student, yes ! My studies take me a lot of time, so it will be
> difficult for me to contribute during term time.
> I'm presently in (ending :/) holidays, and I wanted to make these patch
> because these are annoying bugs I have found, and I just wanted to see if I
> were able to correct them myself.
>
> But yes, I want to do the GSoC ! Not especially for Kate, but why not ?
> I'm basically a python fan, but I have a correct level in C++, and I
> already used Qt one time.
> On the ideas page for Kate, there are two ideas that are interesting me :
>
> As a Vi input mode user, I am quite interested in improving the Vi Input
> Mode.
>
> The Elastic Tabstop support also sounds very interesting : I didn't knew
> that system before, but it seems great, and add a real meaning to the tab
> ! But it's a huge project that would require deep changes, isn't it ?
Yes, its a huge change and I don't know if it is at all that good to do.
Rendering would need to parse the text again or just an other stuff needs to
be hacked into the hl data :/ I would better focus on other ideas like vi
improvements or the liek there :)

> I also just had an idea : Why not make a section in the system config
> center to configure katepart, and its configuration will be shared among
> all applications that use it. Thus, we will only have to configure the
> editor once, and the configuration will be usable on
> Kile/Kate/KDevelop/whatever without any change. Do you think it can be a
> good idea ?
One could change the way kate part stores its preferences, that you can share
them between different apps. E.g. kate part could provide some global settings
variants, and allow you to save/load. Guess no extra sysconfig needed
therefore.

(For example the different color schemas are already shared)

Greetings
Christoph