List:       kwrite-devel
Subject:    Re: MovingCursor + Ranges, Features
From:       Christoph Cullmann <cullmann () absint ! com>
Date:       2010-04-21 8:34:45

On Wednesday 21 April 2010 10:31:50 Michel Ludwig wrote:
> On Wednesday 21 April 2010 09:17:44 Christoph Cullmann wrote:
> > I think about implementing caret and mouse enter, but first must look, if
> > that really is efficient, atm I did already part of that, for internal
> > dynamic hl. At the moment looks still quiet efficient, even with
> > document were you have 20k ranges ;)
>
> Wow, that's cool :-)
:) Guess performance will not degrade much, if I do the events you need, just
need to collect then some more ranges.
But will first take a look and then try it.

> > rangeDeleted and rangeEliminated are not that needed, I think, as they
> > were only workarounds that the smart ranges got deleted behind our back,
> > that doesn't happen for moving ranges.
>
> As far as I see it, 'rangeEliminated' is useful in the following setting:
> Suppose that a piece of text contains a misspelled word. The spell checking
> module will then put a moving range on this part of the text to flag it as
> being misspelled. But now the user deletes some text which contains the
> misspelled range and that range now becomes empty (invalid). The spell
> checking module should then be informed about that so that it can delete
> the range.
New ranges can be flagged to get invalid on becoming empty, therefor they have
then zero overhead, beside space. If the spellchecker for time to time deletes
its invalid ranges, you will have no drawback even without the event.
But guess it should be quiet efficient to implement a callback for the case the
range gets invalid or empty.

> > Any other wishs? What I would rather not like to implement is
> > rangeContentsChanged and so on, as then for each edit I need to take care
> > which ranges are affected, which I don't want to do really ;)
>
> Nope, that's not required from my side :-)
:)

--
AbsInt Angewandte Informatik GmbH      Email: cullmann@AbsInt.com