List:       kwrite-devel
Subject:    Re: KDE/kdelibs/kate/buffer
From:       Christoph Cullmann <cullmann () absint ! de>
Date:       2010-04-09 20:13:38

Milian Wolff wrote:
> On Friday 09 April 2010 21:00:18 Dominik Haumann wrote:
>
>> On Friday 09 April 2010, Milian Wolff wrote:
>>
>>> SVN commit 1112976 by mwolff:
>>>
>>> attempt to make blockForLine more reliable in a multi-threaded context
>>>
>>> still, the whole KateBuffer is inherently thread-unsafe and needs to be
>>> fixed properly
>>>
>> Reading this makes me feel uncomfortable... Whatever you mean by "fixed
>> properly", maybe locks in the buffer? Uhh...
>>

> Hey,
>
> do you have a better way to fix this? I mean right now, no SmartRange must be
> used from a backgrounthread since e.g. isValid() will trigger a call to the
> buffer eventually (to make sure the column is actually valid).
>
> And anything else more direct that's related to the buffer is not thread safe.
> Would you rather have a single-thread-only Kate part just because it's easier?
> Really, I don't get it why this is such a big deal. What I do know is that in
> it's current form Kate from 4.5 is a major setback for any KDevelop user. In
> 4.4 smart ranges are crap, we all knew that, but at least we where at a point
> where most things simply worked...
>
> /me, still saddened

No no no, in 4.4 the smart ranges are still broken, will crash like
wanted...

Btw., even locking the whole buffer won't help, it emits signals, you
can't tell what people do with them, then you get deadlocks faster then
you ever wanted...

Really, qtcreator works with QTextDocument, not thread safe, works like
a charm....

Greetings
Christoph

--