List:       kwrite-devel
Subject:    Re: subversions markers in icon border
From:       Dominik Haumann <dhdev () gmx ! de>
Date:       2008-12-19 20:23:00

Moin,

On Friday 19 December 2008, Will Angenent wrote:
> Hi Dominik,
>
> Thanks for your feedback, this is going to be valuable when I start
> hacking, which is likely to be over the Christmas holidays.
>
> Dominik Haumann wrote:
> > Hi Will,
> >
> > some thoughs on this: Other editors (e.g. Visual Studio, Eclipse) has a
> > similar bar as well. It shows states such as
> > - what you changed and saved (green)
>
> netbeans distinguishes between new lines and modified lines.  I'd be
> tempted to keep both types of change in there, if things don't get too
> colorful. Also, netbeans shows little red wedges where lines have been
> deleted which I find personally useful too.
>
> > - what you changed and not yet saved (yellow)
>
> I like the yellow thing. That could even be used for non version
> controlled documents.

Ok, maybe I got it wrong, I think you are right: it differentiates between
added lines and (already existing) changed lines.

> > Aynway: I believe integrating it directly into katepart is the wrong
> > approch: it makes the editor component even more complex. What I
> > suggest is to design a KTextEditor interface that lets you hook into
> > the icon border (in fact, there already is one which is called
> > AnnotationInterface, maybe that would already be useful). The next step
> > then would be to implement your ideas in a KTextEditor plugin.
>
> Yes, I was thinking the same today: I'd much, much rather see this
> implemented as a plugin too. Would this still let me add things to
> katetextline? I guess not. That's not a problem though, since I think
> I'm going to have to come up with my own data structures to deal with
> added/modified/deleted lines and keep them up to date as things are
> edited. Nuff things to keep my mind occupied in the near future...

mh, now this is maybe not obvious and more a feeling of mine: I think that
the svn/git/... diff should be implemented as plugin. In contrarry, the
saved/changed/new flags should all be implemented in the kate part directly
and not as plugin. So if you implement the first part of the mail you don't
need a plugin and it should go into the part.

Comments? Other kate devs? :)
Dominik