List:       kwrite-devel
Subject:    subversions markers in icon border
From:       Will Angenent <will.angenent () ntt ! eu>
Date:       2008-12-18 22:13:25

Hi,

I've been thinking about an overambitious project I'm looking into, and
that's to have markers in the icon border showing which lines have been
added/edited/deleted since the last cvs/git/svn commit. For example, see
the green and blue things on the side of this screenshot of netbeans:
http://www.collab.net/collabXchange/NetBeans/images/svn.gif

Integrating it with the KateIconBorder seems easy enough. I haven't
looked into the rest of the nitty gritty stuff yet. I'd like to hear
what you think about these questions:

1. Do I use cervisia or kdesvn? They both seem like separate projects.
Is it going to be worth my time to try and use them? Also, I'm going to
want git support in there too. I'd have to write something brand new for
git.
2. Do I use cvs/svn/git libraries or command line tools? If I use
libraries, how does this work when using/compiling kate when those ones
aren't available? Am I better off writing a wrapper around the command
line binaries cvs, svn, git? Or should it be some dynamic library
3. To keep things up to date, regular calls to "cvs/svn/git status" will
have to be made to see if a commit has been done in the background.
Should this be done on a one second timer or something? An alternative
for svn is to check the .svn/text-base directory for changes, since the
commit will update a file in there, so I can use inotify/kdirwatch or
something.

If I don't get horribly demotivated and actually pull this off, I could
continue to add more functions, but one step at a time!

Thanks for your thoughts & comments,
Will