List:       kwrite-devel
Subject:    Re: ctags and build plugin
From:       Dominik Haumann <dhdev () gmx ! de>
Date:       2008-09-17 21:07:13

Hei Kåre,

On Wednesday 17 September 2008, Kåre Särs wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have ported two kate plugins to kde4. One is a CTags plugin that you
> can use to jump to the definition/declaration of functions and classes.
> The second is a build plugin that parses the output of make and gcc so
> that you can click on the error/warning to jump to the error. The plugins
> can be found in playground/devtools (katebuild-plugin and katectags).
>
> Is there an interest to get these into kdesdk? If nobody objects I'll
> move the plugins to kdereview and then to kdesdk if accepted.

I would have suggested the move myself. I haven't tried the plugins yet, but
I'm confident that it's a great addition to kate. All those little plugins
make kate much more powerful after all.

> Comments are wellcome.
> (I have not checked the autocompletion API and CTags does not provide
> info about class or struct members.)

I still believe it's possible to do it with a good heuristic. Vim once had a
plugin for code completion called icomplete [1]. It's only based on
exuberant-ctags, afaik that's what you use as well.
There also is a IDE for Qt development called QDevelop [2]. QDevelop portet
icomplete to Qt and named it qicomplete (you can find it in QDevelop's
source code). Maybe we can borrow ideas from qicomplete, or maybe even port
it to Kate. It should work in >90% of the cases as far as I know, which
would be really good (good enough for sure) for Kate.

Cheers,
Dominik

[1] http://stud4.tuwien.ac.at/~e0125672/icomplete/
[2] http://qdevelop.free.fr/