List:       kwrite-devel
Subject:    Re: Plugin development related questions
From:       Milian Wolff <mail () milianw ! de>
Date:       2008-09-09 19:43:30

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

Am Monday 08 September 2008 schrieb Hamish Rodda:
> Hi,
>
> On Monday 08 September 2008 01:20:28 Milian Wolff wrote:
> > Hello!
> >
> > To learn C++ and Qt some more, I want to write a plugin for Kate which
> > does validates PHP files using the `php -l` linter. I'm a bit lost though
> > and am not sure whether my ideas are even feasible:
> >
> > 1. How would I access the highlighter from a plugin? I thought it would
> > be great to have the "bad lines" marked inside the code, i.e. assigning
> > them the "Normal Text Style ->  Error". But I cannot find any examples or
> > documentation on how do that. Any hints?
>
> http://api.kde.org/4.x-api/kdelibs-
> apidocs/interfaces/ktexteditor/html/classKTextEditor_1_1SmartInterface.html
>#smartiface_highlight
>
> > 2. I imagine more sophisticated PHP IDEs include their own PHP parsers
> > (see also 4.) to generate on-the-fly error reporting which is out of my
> > reach.
>
> KDevelop version 4 does have a fairly advanced php parser and error
> reporting as you suggest.  It could always use some help though, so if
> you're interested, you could contact the kdevelop list
> (kdevelop-devel@barney.cs.uni- potsdam.de), myself or even the developer
> who works on php support for kdevelop - Niko Sams (niko.sams at gmail.com)

Ok, that sounds great. I'll look into it after I've gotten some more
experience. This is pretty much my first GUI/Qt/KDE "project" ever. And in my
experience I learned most at the beginning when doing things on my own instead
of trying to grasp very sophisticated solutions.

--
Milian Wolff
mail@milianw.de