List:       kwrite-devel
Subject:    Re: [patch] Ability to force indent with spaces in alignment from
From:       "Robin Pedersen" <robinpeder () gmail ! com>
Date:       2008-06-05 11:06:50

On Wed, 04 Jun 2008 20:26:24 +0200, Leo Savernik <l.savernik@aon.at> wrote:

> Am Dienstag, 3. Juni 2008 schrieb Robin Pedersen:
> [...]
> It's not an opinion
Yes and no:

>>> If a document has been written with a tab width of 8, it is expected
>>> that it will break when viewed with a tab width of 4.
Ok. I agree that this part is not an opinion (with the way tabs are
usually used). People probably expect it to break if viewed with a
different tab width.

>>> Plain text files are simply not meant to scale with different tab
>>> widths.
I think the "not meant" part is your opinion, since what I actually
suggested here (and others have suggested before) was exactly a way to
make it possible to scale with different tabs widths.

> Please don't take it as a personal attack.

Of course not ;-)

> [...]
> The only safe option to preserve layout is refrain from using tabs.

Only because we don't have the option to distinguish between indenting and
the kind of alignment that would break if the tab size is changed.

> [...]
>
> mfg
> 	Leo

BTW: Thanks for your feedback!