List:       kwrite-devel
Subject:    Re: [patch] Ability to force indent with spaces in alignment from
From:       Leo Savernik <l.savernik () aon ! at>
Date:       2008-06-03 18:46:51

Am Freitag, 30. Mai 2008 schrieb Jakob Petsovits:
> > The real question in this thread is whether to implement the alignment
> > feature at all. What is your opion on that?
>
> Hm, that's a good point... alignment with tabs enabled certainly doesn't
> make any sense without mixed mode, it will break in the worst possible
> ways. I'm curious what the more involved people think about this :)

I don't see why mixed mode is needed at all. Plain text files are simply not
meant to scale with different tab widths. If a document has been written with
a tab width of 8, it is expected that it will break when viewed with a tab
width of 4.

The compiler won't care and for development projects there should be a
proper .kateconfig file or modelines defining the tab width.

[...]

So, for sake of keeping indent scripts simple and the entry barrier as low as
possible, I opt for keeping current behaviour which means returning the
number of characters to indent and letting the caller decide on how to format
the actual indentation.

mfg
	Leo