List:       kwrite-devel
Subject:    Re: [patch] Ability to force indent with spaces in alignment from
From:       Jakob Petsovits <jpetso () gmx ! at>
Date:       2008-05-30 14:33:45

On Friday, 30. May 2008, Robin Pedersen wrote:
> I never knew what "mixed mode" meant. but I think the configuration user
> interface should contain something like this:
>
>     Replace tabs with spaces:
>     ( ) Never
>     (X) Only when code is aligned (default setting)
>     ( ) Always

I disagree, because

1. if there is such a GUI, all indentation scripts need to implement both
always-replace and mixed mode, which might be infeasible.

2. find me one single case where "Always" is preferrable to mixed mode.
I think there is no such case, and it's just a technical limitation.

Thus, when in tab mode, the script should always do what's best for tabs.
That can be done by one single option ("use tabs instead of spaces"), and
*how* to do this should be up to the script.

Imho. I think it's a bad idea, usability-wise, to have three options instead
of one checkbox just because a solvable technical problem is not solved
right now.

Wishes,
  Jakob