List:       kwrite-devel
Subject:    Kate feedback
From:       "Maki Jaderborg" <makitk () gmail ! com>
Date:       2008-05-26 9:44:26

[Attachment #2 (multipart/alternative)]

As a Kate user in KDE 3.x under Kubuntu since Kubuntu 6.10, I have always
felt it weird that there are several highlight options but no option to
actually highlight text and save the new highlight scheme.
Even the option to highlight text outside the existing highlight rules
(which I haven't found yet, so if it exists, please don't bludgeon me for
being stupid. o.O) would be a nice addition to the program.
Allowing such a new highlighting setup to be saved, which I'm sure would
give some coders some headaches but would probably keep many new and
existing users from getting headaches trying to weed through the dtd files
trying to work out how to set up a proper highlighting file for their
particular coding situation, would be a great improvement and would, for
example, allow me to input highlighting rules for Second Life's LSL codebase
and other such as-of-yet unsupported highlighting rules, which could then be
exported to the Kate development team or some other place for distribution
to other Kate users.

It's just a thought.
Overall I'm very very happy with Kate and prefer it over just about any
other text editor, including windoze's notepad, write, office as well as
OpenOffice and other such text editors.
It doesn't add line after line of useless data concerning the formatting of
text such as the (open)office programs do, and the indentation works perfect
99.9% of the time, allowing me to write database entries and other such in
simple .txt formatting. Quite a nice thing for an 80's kid having grown up
with Commodores and DOS. ;)
I don't need all that fancy stuff the office programs throw at me with their
.rtf and .doc and whatever files I get thrown in my face on the 'net lately.
So yeah. Kate for the win!
A thousand internets to its makers!
And more totally unrelated related *chan speech. ;)

Keep up the good work, guys/girls/*gendereds!

Love,
*Maki*