List:       kwrite-devel
Subject:    Re: GSoC proposal: "Kobby"
From:       David Nolden <david.nolden.kdevelop () art-master ! de>
Date:       2008-03-21 14:18:38

Hi! I'm the student who worked 2 years ago on teamwork support in kdevelop-4,
and I'm eventually planning to apply this year for the same project, to
finish it(Along with some work on the C++ support).

At that time I've implemented a custom document-transformation/synchronization
algorithm that seems very similar to the one used by infinote. Is it correct
that infinote does implement the "personal undo" feature? That's not stable
yet in my code, and for generally better maintainability it would be nice if
it was possible to integrate your(eventual ;) effort so it can be directly
re-used within kdevelop, through the existing communication channels.

I've created a networking library within kdevelop that uses
boost-serialization for communication, and that is designed for easy
extendability.

I'm planning to apply for a SOC project that builds on my last effort, and
looks something like this:
- Refactor the networking library to make more understandable, and remove some
template-wise over-engineering
- Add more/better documentation to the network library
- Add jabber/jingle support, including initiation of direct connections
- Add zeroconf support for direct collaboration on local network
- Port from commonC++ networking and threading to Qt networking and threading

So after these changes, wouldn't it even be interesting to use the same
networking library as base for your project? The benefits would be:
- KDevelop and Kate would be directly interoperable teamwork-wise
- You would have support for local connections through zeroconf
- You would get user-management for free

The downside would be that the implementation would not follow the
jabber-based infinote protocol. But however you decide, please at least make
it possible to use the collaboration-mechanism through a custom communication
channel, so it can be re-used within kdevelop-teamwork.

Greetings, David