List:       kwrite-devel
Subject:    Re: KDE 4 + plans
From:       Dominik Haumann <dhdev () gmx ! de>
Date:       2008-01-14 22:17:03

On Sunday 13 January 2008, Rafael Fernández López wrote:
> Hi,
>
> > IMHO you're wrong here, having ruby and python available as scripting
> > languages lowers the barrier for those that already know these
> > languages. And JS works quite differently OO-wise than python or ruby
> > and thus imposes a not-that-small-barrier to people accustomed to the
> > way Ruby/Python/Java/C++ handle OO.
>
> I completely agree here. Forcing ourselves to JS is quite a bad solution,
> since we are doing the same as being stucked with C++. What we plan is to
> be able of using as most languages as we can. If Kross can do it (I
> really don't know it, and for that reason we are CC'ing Sebastian), then
> it would be the best solution we can take.
>
> From my point of view, having JS + C++ is almost the same as forcing C++.

ewh, I clearly see a difference... ;) You don't have to compile js, you can
provide updates on the fly. you can learn it much more easily. you can
tweak your scripts as you like. oh, and after all 1+1 = 2 != 1 ;)

> Supporting a technology, that in some day can extend its support to other
> languages make this a win.
>
> Only my 20 cents.

I'd like to mention that we have two levels here:
1. Kate Part (editor component)
2. Kate Application

At Kate Part level we need something that integrates well and is really
fast. We need it for indentation and small scripts (via command line and
maybe even gui actions). Besides, there are wishes about kate needing a
macro system. If scripting is done right, the macro system is almost for
free. I have to admit though that I didn't investigate Krossn, i.e. I have
no idea whether Kross meets all this.

At Kate App level I can imagine that Kross is definitely more interesting
than on part level, imho... :) And of course: On Kate app level we have to
export all the Kate Part Api, too: Text editor, sidebars, well, as much as
possible. So you don't loose much if we take that road. It just needs to be
implemented ;)

Dominik