List:       kwrite-devel
Subject:    Re: writing plugins in a dynamic language
From:       Paul Giannaros <ceruleanblaze () gmail ! com>
Date:       2007-11-04 15:43:54

On Sunday 04 November 2007 01:11:38 Christopher J. Bottaro wrote:
> Hello,
> Kate is a great editor, but I feel that writing plugins for it is a
> bit difficult.  Who wants to write in c++ this days?!  ;)  Would it be
> a possibility to somehow allow for writing Kate plugins in Ruby or
> Python?  I think that would open the flood gates and really get people
> excited about Kate plugin development.  Then finally we can knock
> TextMate off it's high horse!  ;)

You can write plugins for Kate using Pâté -- it's a Kate plugin that lets you
write new plugins in Python using a nice and simple API.
It works fine but isn't so easy to get set up with KDE3 on lots of distros,
because they bundle outdated versions of things like PyQt and PyKDE.

I've now ported the core of Pâté to Kate on KDE4, and have collaborated with
Jim Bulbitz, the maintainer of PyKDE, who has now included certain bindings
in PyKDE4 that will make it much easier to install. This version also has
nice docs ;-).