List:       kwrite-devel
Subject:    Re: KDE/kdelibs/kate/mode
From:       Andreas Pakulat <apaku () gmx ! de>
Date:       2007-10-16 22:37:42

On 16.10.07 23:34:43, Sebastian Pipping wrote:
> Andreas Pakulat wrote:
> >> Btw I used a macro to get zero debug speed loss for
> >> releases builds. Would be cool if we could make that
> >> configurable from outside the sources. If you like
> >> it would could use it at other places, too.
> >
> > Excuse my ignorance (of the kate code that prints something) but that
> > code already exists, if you output using kDebug(). kDebug() calls do
> > nothing in release builds, so as long as you're printing with kDebug()
> > the release build won't be as noisy as your debug build.
>
> Sure, but the functions are still called. I like to
> trim that down to zero, nto just very little overhead.

Uhm, if you have so many kdebug calls that this is still a noticeable
overhead you did something wrong with kdebug (i.e. used in far too many
places)

> > And even in debug builds you can get a speedup if you use the right
> > kdebug area and then disable printing that area via kdebugdialog.
>
> kdebug area? Please explain.

See kdelibs/kdecore/kdebug.areas and/or run kdebugdialog. All larger
apps and nearly all libraries in kde have one or more so called debug
areas so that one can individually turn off debug output that one
doesn't want to see.

In the code you use kdebug(<somenumber>) <<... to specify the area and
when you deselect it in the kdebugdialog you won't see any of that
output (I don't know the implementation but it seems it just goes to
/dev/null or some such, i.e. really fast)

Andreas

--
Your fly might be open (but don't check it just now).