List:       kwrite-devel
Subject:    Re: toolbar shows up when a document is opened
From:       Dominik Haumann <dhdev () gmx ! de>
Date:       2007-10-02 18:07:56

Hi Mirko,

On Tuesday 02 October 2007, Mirko Stocker wrote:
> On Tuesday 02 October 2007 15:03:36 Sebastian Pipping wrote:
> > we seem to have a config saving problem btw.
> > line numbers on/off is not stored in my kate
> > although settings should make it do that.
>
> The activated plug-ins aren't saved either.. by the way, in kate we have
> the plug-ins and then we have the "editor components extensions".

Yes, it's different. You have to differentiate between the 'kate app' and
the 'kate part'.
the kate part (kdelibs/kate/) is an implementation of the ktexteditor
interfaces (kdelibs/interfaces/ktexteditor).
the kate app uses the ktexteditor interfaces to get an editor
implementation. but the kate app never knows that it's using a kate part --
it's just using the interfaces.

now to the plugins: the ktexteditor interfaces define a plugin interface.
the kate app also defines a plugin interface.
on kate app level plugins can have a sidebar (like the document list). on
kate part level, you can only have a KXMLGuiClient and do Document + View
manipluation.

> The
> latter have a quite nice looking GUI to enable them, whereas the plug-ins
> are simply a list... can someone enlighten me? Are there different
> systems in KDE? Do we need to port something?

The kate part uses KPluginSelector for its plugin configuration.

The kate app uses a simple list view and a (currently missing) configure
button to enable/disable and configure plugins.

part of the reason the kate app does not use KPluginSelector is that we'd
have to change the interfaces in a way that is simply not acceptible.

hope this helps.

dominik