List:       kwrite-devel
Subject:    Re: More default questions...
From:       Leo Savernik <l.savernik () aon ! at>
Date:       2007-10-01 17:24:02

Am Montag, 1. Oktober 2007 schrieb Christoph Cullmann:
> On Sunday 30 September 2007 22:18, Dominik Haumann wrote:
> > >
> > > Yes! Please, off! Off! Off!
> > >
> > > mfg
> > >       Leo
> > >
> > > PS: Just make a backup by default if Kate crashes.
> >
> > I don't quite get this. If kate crashes during save, your data is or can
> > be lost. in kde 3.5.7 kate is really stable. it wasn't that stable all
> > the time. ths is kde4, i wouldn't be surprised if crashes exist ;)

No, I didn't mean if kate crashes during saving. If that happens, that's just
bad luck. I meant if kate happens to crash (or is being forcefully
terminated) while being used, it should dump all currently unsaved buffers to
disk (and -- as a bonus -- try to restore them on relaunch).

> Yep, and beside that, the default was "on" for ages, it makes no sense to
> change that IMHO. People disliking that can deactivate it, but for first
> time users, it can be useful. Only if you implement a correct save algo for
> local files, where no data can be lost on kate crash, you may deactivate
> that, but I am not sure, if that is possible at all :( (And no, writing to
> new file + renaming after success is no solution, you may loose group info,
> owner info, acls, extended attributes, ....)

Hmm, copying old file, writing into old file and deleting the copy after
success?

mfg
	Leo