List:       kwrite-devel
Subject:    Re: More default questions...
From:       Christoph Cullmann <cullmann () absint ! com>
Date:       2007-10-01 5:51:37

On Sunday 30 September 2007 22:18, Dominik Haumann wrote:
> On Sunday 30 September 2007, Leo Savernik wrote:
> > Am Sonntag, 30. September 2007 schrieb Adam Treat:
> > > Another feature that I know annoys many people is the 'Backup on Save'
> > > feature.  I don't know a single person who uses this.  Maybe there are
> > > some people who use it so I don't advocate getting rid of it, but it
> > > really should be off by default.  Can you imagine using Kate as a
> > > programmers editor only to see your filesystem absolutely *littered*
> > > with ~foo files.
> >
> > Yes! Please, off! Off! Off!
> >
> > mfg
> >       Leo
> >
> > PS: Just make a backup by default if Kate crashes.
>
> I don't quite get this. If kate crashes during save, your data is or can be
> lost. in kde 3.5.7 kate is really stable. it wasn't that stable all the
> time. ths is kde4, i wouldn't be surprised if crashes exist ;)
Yep, and beside that, the default was "on" for ages, it makes no sense to
change that IMHO. People disliking that can deactivate it, but for first time
users, it can be useful. Only if you implement a correct save algo for local
files, where no data can be lost on kate crash, you may deactivate that, but
I am not sure, if that is possible at all :( (And no, writing to new file +
renaming after success is no solution, you may loose group info, owner info,
acls, extended attributes, ....)

cu
Christoph

--