List:       kwrite-devel
Subject:    Re: More default questions...
From:       Andreas Pakulat <apaku () gmx ! de>
Date:       2007-09-30 9:36:17

On 30.09.07 10:34:33, Anders Lund wrote:
> On Sunday 30 September 2007, Adam Treat wrote:
> > Another feature that I know annoys many people is the 'Backup on Save'
> > feature.  I don't know a single person who uses this.  Maybe there are some
> > people who use it so I don't advocate getting rid of it, but it really
> > should be off by default.  Can you imagine using Kate as a programmers
> > editor only to see your filesystem absolutely *littered* with ~foo files.
>
> This is a very traditional feature of unix editors. What is the default
> configuration for vi, vim, nano, emacs etc these days?

At least vim doesn't create backup files here on my system (with no
related changes in ~/.vimrc). I don't have emacs installed at the
moment, but I also don't have any backup-related stuff in my ~/.emacs
and neither do I have any backup-files in those things where I used
emacs to edit files.

So I think neither vim nor emacs produce backup files nowadays and IMHO
an auto-save-feature (with KAutoSaveFile) is something that is used by
more users than the backup-on-save.

Andreas

--
You would if you could but you can't so you won't.