List:       kwrite-devel
Subject:    Re: Fwd: KDE/kdelibs/kate/plugins/wordcompletion
From:       Christoph Cullmann <cullmann () babylon2k ! de>
Date:       2007-08-09 17:47:34

Am Mittwoch, 8. August 2007 21:37:11 schrieb Rafael Fernández López:
> Hi again,
>
> I have been thinking that if you want I can write a dummy plugin with
> a dummy config dialog (that won't be installed, just on SVN as a
> plugin, but not install sentence on CMakeLists.txt), but just as a
> how-to write a plugin for kate.
>
> So, what do you think about removing only those two methods from the
> plugin interface ?
>
> virtual bool configDialogSupported () const;
> virtual void configDialog (QWidget *parent);
>
> Please take in count is something regarding KPluginSelector now.
>
> Right now, as far as I know, KPluginSelector is used by Konqueror,
> Kopete and KWin. No one reported any kind of problem with it. I hope
> Kate will too, but as I said on a previous email is just a bit of
> effort, for example, removing those methods from the plugin interface
> and letting KPluginSelector do its work.
>
> Adding the method you said on other email
> supporsConfigDialog(KPluginInfo*, ...) would be redundant because that
> information could collide with the real information it has about
> KCModules. For example if you said false and it found KCModules for
> that plugin, or viceversa.
>
> What's more, for adding code to kdelibs I think there is a minimum of
> 2 or 3 applications needing that for adding it. Please understand is a
> very little change on Kate and so much winning.
I don't think so, it makes plugins that much harder to write for zero bonus,
beside that apps must use the kpluginselector, I don't think that's really a
plus. The apps you name use some very limited plugins, as there plugins don't
deal with any document/view or anything. I think it makes sense to let the
KTextEditor stuff remain and just avoid kpluginselector in kate, don't know
if people will really miss that, or?

--
Christoph Cullmann
KDE Developer, Kate Maintainer