List:       kwrite-devel
Subject:    Re: Fwd: KDE/kdelibs/kate/plugins/wordcompletion
From:       Andreas Pakulat <apaku () gmx ! de>
Date:       2007-08-08 9:15:02

On 08.08.07 10:24:40, Rafael Fernández López wrote:

> > to be pricese + changing the KTE to match the new system. Also, what if
> > other KTextEditor implementation (yzis) don't want to use KPluginSelector.
>

> I care to what we ship. And what is on our trunk is Kate/KWrite, so I take
> care of it. I just can't take care of forks, because of that they're forks.

You're wrong here. YZis is _not_ a fork, its just another implementation
of the KTextEditor interfaces that are in kdelibs/interfaces. The same
way KatePart is an implementation of these interfaces.

> Regarding the ::self-accessor.
> > The plugin is also configurable even if the plugin is not loaded. ::self()
> > would return 0 then. The pointer can be checked, but it's still a source
> > of
> > errors ;) Maybe "More Options" should be grayed out if a plugin is not
> > loaded.
>
> I check the pointer yes. It depends on the implementation, I'm sure you've
> developed a singleton before. It depends on the implementation detail, I
> could have called directly to self() without checking anything, and the
> self() method check if it is 0 and return a new object of the plugin. It
> just depends on how you do it. Oh come on, we do it everyday :)

Well, creating a plugin instance behind the back of the plugin system is
a really bad idea.

> About the grayed "More Options", I don't think is OK. If the user goes there
> what means to him ? I need to install anything else ? Or what ? Plugins
> should be configurable even if they're not loaded. Probably that's even what
> we want, at the first view we see "Word completion", "oh i want it", I
> configure it, and then I load it. Nice ! ;)

I completely agree with this.

Andreas

--
Another good night not to sleep in a eucalyptus tree.