List:       kwrite-devel
Subject:    Re: Splitting incremental find and general search/replace
From:       Sebastian Pipping <webmaster () hartwork ! org>
Date:       2007-07-28 4:05:54

I did some thinking about this and came to some
conclusions that I hope to find open ears and
open arms for. I believe that this is a chance
to rescue values from the past as well as add
new power for the future. Here is what I have
in mind:

   Two search bars: One is an incremental 1:1
   clone of that of Firefox and the other is
   a non-incremental search/replace bar with
   history and advanced checkboxes similar
   to the status quo.

Details:

 * The Firefoxy "Find" one:
   * Is simple, meant for navigation
   * Is incremental
   * Has next and previous buttons,
     with "next" on the left
   * "Highlight all" as toggle button
   * "Match case" as real check box
   * Status area with text like
     "No matches found" and "Wrapped,
     continued from top"
   * Search always starts from cursor,
     wrapping enabled, wrapping indicated but
     not asked for to not get in the user's way
   * Display of the number of matches when
     highlighting all (not sure yet where)
   * Clear button left to the edit control
   * Switch to search/replace button on
     the right edge
   * When the bar is opened the search pattern
     is alway empty

 * The "search/replace" one:
   * Is powerful with advanced options
   * Is non-incremental
   * Combo box for search/replace modes:
     * Plaintext
     * Whole words
     * Escape sequences
     * Regular expressions
   * Two edit controls with history,
     one for the search pattern, one
     for the replacement text
   * ">" button right to each edit control
     with stuff like "\n" and "." or to launch
     KRegexpEditor if installed
   * Clear button left to each edit control
   * Buttons:
     * Next, Previous
     * Replace, Replace all
   * Check boxes:
     * Match case
     * Selection only
     * From cursor
     * Wrap around (to not have to ask)
   * Hightlight all as toggle button
   * Switch to Firefoxy Find button on
     the right edge
   * When the bar is opened the search
     pattern is initialized from the
     current selection

 * I would code that for you - isn't that nice? :-)

Sebastian