List:       kwrite-devel
Subject:    Re: Modes
From:       Matthew Woehlke <mw_triad () users ! sourceforge ! net>
Date:       2007-07-06 22:07:19

Dominik Haumann wrote:
> On Friday 06 July 2007, Sebastian Pipping wrote:
>> Dominik Haumann wrote:
>>> In other words: we have 140 * (count of wildcards per file) regular
>>> expressions for every opened file. Starting a session with 14 files
>>> the regular expression takes roughly 65% of the kate startup process.
>>>
>>> How do we fix that? We have to check the wildcards after all to figure
>>> out which mode we have to load... ;)
>>
>> Assuming all the wildcards are plain file extensions like
>> "*.css" and not generic filters like ".bash*" that code
>> could be changed to an extension-to-mode map. That would
>> do binary instead of linear search. The map has to be build
>>from the filters only once.
>
> That's not the case, especially because the user also can change this
> dynamically ;)

Right, if you hadn't said something, I would have, I'm pretty sure I've
used such types. :-)

Do they need to be regular expressions, though? (*Are* they?) Or are
they very basic globbing expressions, in which case I would hope
something much faster than a regexpr match can be used?

--
Matthew
"Resistance is futile" -- Borg