List:       kwrite-devel
Subject:    dcop focus function--what should it do?
From:       Randy Kramer <rhkramer () gmail ! com>
Date:       2007-05-30 14:59:37

(Sorry, this is a repeat question, but thought I'd try asking one more time
here before trying on a "broader" kde list.  Also, I have tried googling, but
am having trouble getting results that discuss this function as opposed to
things like "the focus of kde development".)

What should the dcop focus function do?

Background: I'm using kate 2.4.2 (kde 3.4.2) and kate 2.5.6 (kde 3.5.6).  Via
dcop, I notice that many kde applications have a function named "focus" that
(iiuc) should return a boolean value, presumably to indicate that the
application the dcop function is being called on currently has the focus.

For example:

dcop kate-7550 __KateMainWindow#1 focus
dcop konqueror-7592 konqueror-mainwindow#1 focus
dcop konsole-14830 konsole-mainwindow#1 focus

konsole seemed like the easiest thing to test--I expected that if I issued
that last dcop command from within that konsole, it would display true.  But
I get false (and, no matter where/how I've issued these commands, I keep
getting false).  Am I expecting the wrong thing, or is this a bug?

(PS: My goal is to find a way to (in a "script" of some sort, probably invoked
via External Tools), determine which instance of kate I'm working in.  (I run
multiple instances of kate.)  IIUC, I can't (permanently) use KDE Scripts
because that (kscript) went away after kate 2.4.

Thanks!
Randy Kramer