List:       kwrite-devel
Subject:    "Replace tabs with spaces" gone?
From:       Claus_C_Pörtner <cportner () u ! washington ! edu>
Date:       2006-11-29 23:31:35

Hi,

I use Kate a lot (directly and through Kile) for writing both code and
LaTeX. Unfortunately, it looks like its tab behaviour has changed from
2.4.1 to 2.5.2. In 2.4 there is an option to "Replace tabs with spaces",
which in 2.5 seems to have become "Insert spaces instead of tabulators"
(under Configure - Editing). Hence, when I now load a file created by my
statistical software with tabs between columns the tabs no longer go away.

The main reason I care about this is that it breaks the ability to use
the block selection mode for editing a file. Before I could move columns
of estimations results around without any problems, but now it just
becomes a big mess. In my opinion the block selection mode is the most
useful feature of Kate and I would hate to lose that (and do not really
want to sit down and learn how to use Emacs for coding and running LaTeX
:-) ). Is there a way to overcome this problem?

Thank you for your help,

Claus

PS I am not subscribed to the list, so please cc me on any responses.
--
Claus C Pörtner