List:       kwrite-devel
Subject:    Re: kdelibs coding style
From:       Leo Savernik <l.savernik () aon ! at>
Date:       2006-07-24 16:26:38

Am Sonntag, 23. Juli 2006 22:42 schrieb Dominik Haumann:
> On Sunday 23 July 2006 21:14, Leo Savernik wrote:
> > I mentioned .kateproject because it is already possible today.
>
> Just for info: Right now .kateconfig files do not support
> mimetypes/extensions (*). So if we use .kateconfig files, they are valid
> for -all- files we edit in kate, e.g. Makefiles, scripts, simply
> everything.
>
> (*) something to fix for kde4

Oops, indeed. I've also read it in your blog. We'd need a construct like
CSS !important for modelines such that certain properties take a higher
precedence. I'd suggest the following hierarchy (where lowest number means
lowest precedence):

1. kate configuration, i.e. settings made in the user interface
2. Filetypes configuration
3. .kateconfig file
4. modelines in the document itself
5. Filetypes configuration with !important
6. .kateconfig file with !important
7. modelines in the document itself with !important

This can probably be easily implemented, even for 3.5. It wouldn't even
necessary to document !important as it would be simply a hack for 3.5. For
4.0, a refinement/better solution should be invented.

How about this?

Granted, !important has to be used sparingly, but that's also true for
CSS !important.

mfg
	Leo