List:       kwrite-devel
Subject:    Re: Kate & Kyzis colaboration ;)
From:       Christoph Cullmann <cullmann () babylon2k ! de>
Date:       2005-05-30 17:43:48

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On Monday 30 May 2005 17:22, Mickael Marchand wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> (sorry for the delay , I was off during the weekend and quite busy today \
> ;)
> so, this looks like a nice idea :)
fine ;)

> I spend most of my time in the core of yzis (libyzis) and haven't much
> time on working on making it beautiful (like Kate GUI ;),
> so for Yzis concerns, it would indeed be a nice idea.
> I will be pleased to work with you in order to make this happen, of
> course this means properly defining/improving KTextEditor.
yes, kate UI has some similar situation, beside work on the part, the app \
gets not that much polish, beside by anders, who does a great job here ;)

> Kyzis does not do much complicated stuff at this time, so it should be
> quite easy to make it integrate into Kate's GUI.
> There are on the other side some more stuff that we want to go into the
> GUI like being to split windows, rearrange them from the command line
> etc, but this should not be too hard to do. We would need some common
> components I guess, like the konsole part which first come to my mind.
> Kyzis also needs more specific stuff, mainly it has to be able to
> control some part of the GUI (opening/closing windows mainly). There are
> 2 ways to do that, either through DCOP (which I do in kdevelop for now),
> either through a common interface (would be nicer imho).
Kate does support splitting and so on, not thought interface, but hey, we \
could agree on some "app proxy" interface for this, like the \
browserextension or whatever

> while we are it, it would be nice to see if we can arrange some common
> format for the Lua auto-indentation stuff that was added in kate lately.
> we haven't much developped ours (only 2/3 indent files for basic stuff)
> but the basis are the same I think so it should be quite easy to support
> the same format
> basically that would consist on defining a common basic Lua interface
> (gettext(), line(), col() ...) for the editor that can be used from the
> scripts and a common way to call the indenter (choosing entry points
> names in the autoindent scripts)
our lua stuff is in child age ;) guess many changes will happen there, and \
yes, some common subset of methods would be nice to agree on.

If trunk is kde4 branch once again, I will start on working that Kate \
supports KTextEditor parts native, and add the missing interfaces needed to \
get this first running, which we can adjust later to be more generic if \
needed.

Our both teams would benefit from this merge, Kate would get an additional \
editor style, which vim users like, and yzis would have a ui which ships \
per standard with any kde out there and which is already used by lots of \
people ;)

cu
Christoph

--
Christoph Cullmann
KDE Developer, kde.org Maintainance Team