List:       kwrite-devel
Subject:    Re: just curious about scripting
From:       Jeroen Wijnhout <wijnhout () science ! uva ! nl>
Date:       2005-03-14 8:04:19

Christoph Cullmann wrote:

>On Sunday 13 March 2005 15:54, Anders Lund wrote:
>

>>On Sunday 13 March 2005 15:37, Jeroen Wijnhout wrote:
>>

>>>Hi,
>>>
>>>I'm interested in the recent addition of scripting capabilities to Kate.
>>>Where can I find more info about how to make your application scriptable?
>>>katejscript.cpp looks sort of non-trivial :-/ Also, I couldn't find any
>>>good tutorials on this, so I was wondering where you got your knowledge
>>>from.
>>>

>>Hi Jeroen,
>>Apart from following the discussions here, in the source
>>(kdelibs/kate/part/katejscript.*).
>>
>>So far it is not usable for anything at all, but hopefully we get a
>>serrvice type or other means of actually using it in place soon :)
>>

>I guess he thinks more about how to make kile scriptable, and I am not sure if
>the way we go for the part is the correct one you want for whole apps, as
>handwritten kjs bindings are not that nice for complex app structure.

You guessed right ;-)  Indeed, I'm looking for some easy way to add
scriptability to Kile (as easy as DCOP for example). Somehow I think
KJSEmbed should be suited for that, however
all the example deal with writing KDE applications in JScript.

>where I have my knowledge from: reading khtml'S codebase + the testjs
>example ;)

Use the source . . ., it figures.

Btw, why did you decide on JScript and not Python, any reason? Python
also requires you to write the bindings manually. Anyway if the Kate
part will allow JScript scripting, then perhaps I should try to do the
same. Otherwise users end up with two scripting languages.

best,
Jeroen